The mandate of the Committee is to provide advice to the minister of national revenue and the commissioner of the Agency on:
- the administration and interpretation of the laws and programs related to disability tax measures;
- ways in which the needs and expectations of the disability community can be better taken into consideration;
- increasing the awareness and take-up of measures for persons with disabilities;
- how to better inform persons with disabilities and various stakeholders about tax measures and important administrative changes; and
- current administrative practices and how to enhance the quality of services for persons with disabilities
This report makes recommendations on support for persons with disabilities based on surveys and responses from individual Canadians, organizations, tax preparers, health providers, and policy experts. The recommendations seek to ensure clarity and fairness in Disability Tax Credit eligibility criteria and administration, reduction of barriers in accessing the DTC, and more attention to the costs of disability-related assistance.